Contact Colonel Martin
Colonel Richard W. Martin, Jr., is Dean of Students, Air Force Chair, and Military Faculty at the College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. In this role, he directly supports more than 90 students and assists college leadership, faculty, and staff with educating and preparing civilian and military national security professionals from the United States and partner nations for the strategic challenges of the contemporary security environment. Colonel Martin also provides administrative oversight for more than 20 Air Force officers in attendance at the college and teaches graduate-level courses on strategic leadership and combating terrorism and irregular warfare.
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Martin served as the Chief of Construction for United States Forces Korea where he provided oversight of a construction program valued at over $5B spanning all Service Components and enhancing operational capabilities across the Korean Peninsula.
Colonel Martin received his commission through ROTC in 1998 upon graduating from Clarkson University. His assignments include base-level, U.S. Air Force Academy faculty, Major Command staff, Headquarters Air Force staff, Joint, and multiple Squadron commands. He deployed in 2007 to Eskan Village, Saudi Arabia, and in 2015 to Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, where he served as the 451st Expeditionary Support Squadron Commander, leading 348 personnel across 18 different Air Force specialties. Colonel Martin is a licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
2002 Master of Science, Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2015 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., by correspondence (Outstanding Graduate)
2018 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala. (Academic Distinction)
1. Jun 98 - Jul 00, Civil Engineer/Construction Management, 96 CEG, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. Jul 00 - Jul 01, Readiness Flight Commander, 96 CES, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. Aug 01 - Aug 02, Graduate Student, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
4. Aug 02 - Jun 03, Chief of Design, 51 CES, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
5. Jun 03 - Jun 06, Executive Officer and Assistant Professor, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
6. Jun 06 - Mar 08, Facilities Program Manager, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. Mar 08 - Jun 09, Chief, Inspection Policy & Process Branch and Lead Civil Engineer Inspector, Headquarters Air Mobility Command Inspector General, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. Jun 09 - Jun 10, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. Jun 10 - Jun 12, Operations Flight Commander, 9 CES, Beale AFB, Calif.
10. Jun 12 - Jun 14, Commander, 423d Civil Engineer Squadron, RAF Alconbury, United Kingdom
11. Jul 14 – Jul 16, Commander, 325th Civil Engineer Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
(Oct 15 – Apr 16, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Support Squadron, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan)
12. Jul 16 – Jun 17, Deputy Chair, Installation Support Panel, DCS/Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. Jul 17 – May 18, Student, Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
14. Jul 18 – Jun 19, Chief of Construction, United States Forces Korea, Camp Humphreys, Republic of Korea
15. Jun 19 – Present, Dean of Students, Air Force Chair, and Military Faculty, College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Non-Article 5 Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 15, 1998
First Lieutenant June 15, 2000
Captain June 15, 2002
Major April 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel August 1, 2013
Colonel October 1, 2019
(Current as of Oct 19)