Col Rebecca L. Welch is the Associate Dean of Academics at the College of International Security Affairs and the Reserve Component Chair for National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C. As Associate Dean, Col Welch is responsible for the academic curriculum at the College of International Security Affairs, impacting Joint PME and civilian academic accreditation for over 700 students annually. As the Reserve Component Chair, Col Welch serves as the focal point for all Reserve Component faculty and students assigned to National Defense University. Prior to this assignment Col Welch was the Individual Mobilization Augmentee for the Headquarters Air Force Director of Staff and the Division Chief, Headquarters Air Force Executive Secretariat, responsible for directing, supporting, and reviewing all Air Force taskings destined for the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force, the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Congress, and the White House.
Col Welch entered the Air Force in 1994 upon completion of the ROTC Program at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and served on active duty as a personnel officer and special agent with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations. She separated from active duty in 2004 but continued to serve the United States Air Force as a Reservist at Officer Training School, as an Executive Officer for a Flying Training Squadron, and as a Basic Military Training Squadron Commander. In her civilian capacity, she’s taught Criminal Justice at the university level for nearly ten years. Prior to her current position, Col Welch was the Senior Executive Officer for the Air Force’s Total Force Continuum, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1994 Bachelor of Arts degree in English, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, N.C.
1999 Master of Arts degree in English Literature, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Doctorate of Philosophy degree in Justice, Law, and Society, American University, Washington, D.C.
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Masters of Science degree in National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1994 - January 1997, Chief, Career Enhancements, HQ AFOSI MPF, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.
2. January 1997- April 1997, student, AFOSI Academy, Andrews AFB, Md.
3. April 1997 - August 1997, agent, AFOSI Detachment 425, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
4. August 1997 – August 1999, Operations Officer, AFOSI Det 433, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. August 1999 - January 2000, Counterintelligence and Information Operations Staff Officer, 8th Field Investigations Region, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. January 2000 - August 2002, Information Operations Staff Officer, 5th Field Investigations Region, Ramstein AB, Germany
7. August 2002 - June 2004, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 221, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
8. December 2004 - December 2008, Flight Commander, 23 Training Squadron, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. December 2008 – December 2009, Student Squadron Commander, 23 Training Squadron, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. December 2009 – November 2010, Director of Reserve Affairs, 23 Training Squadron, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. November 2010 – May 2013, Executive Officer, 39 Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. May 2013 – January 2014, Director of Operations, 433 Training Squadron, Joint Base San Antonio Lackland, Texas
13. January 2014 – July 2015, Commander, 433 Training Squadron, Joint Base San Antonio Lackland, Texas
14. July 2015 – June 2016, student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2016 – April 2017, action and executive officer, Total Force Continuum, Directorate of Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. April 2017 – June 2018, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Assistant Vice Chief and Director, Air Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2018 – present, Associate Dean of Academics, College of International Security Affairs, and Reserve Component Chair, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations Top Recruiting Detachment of the Year, 2004
Air University’s Individual Mobilization Augmentee of the Year, 2006
Officer Training School’s Female Athlete of the Year, 2008
Eisenhower School’s Commandant’s Award for Excellence in Research, 2016
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 11, 1994
First Lieutenant Aug. 11, 1996
Captain Aug. 11, 1998
Major Aug. 11, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 11, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2017
(Current as of July 2018)